Homeless population by state for 2022
In the United States, there are over a half a million people experiencing homelessness. These individuals live in a temporary shelter or transitional housing or sleep in a place not meant for habitation, such as an abandoned building, on a sidewalk, or in a park. The top four causes of homelessness, in order, are: lack of affordable housing, unemployment, poverty, and low wages.
Overall, 66.7 percent of the total homeless population of the country is single individuals, with the remaining 33.3 percent being families. In recent years, homelessness increased nationally by almost one percent. This number comprises unaccompanied children and young adults, single adults experiencing chronic homelessness, and people experiencing unsheltered homelessness. Some populations have seen a decrease in homelessness. Dramatic reductions are amongst families and the veteran community.
California currently has the highest homeless population with about 151,278 homeless people, according to the most recent census. This is about one-fifth of the total homeless population in the United States. This figure is attributed to issues with providing affordable and adequate housing opportunities, current drug laws, and the inaccessibility of important mental health resources…which can all be attributed to radical California Governor Gavin Newsom.
Another alarming statistic comes from New York City. In recent years, homelessness in this city reached the highest levels since the Great Depression in the 1930s, reaching its highest point under Mayor Bill de Blasio. However, this year saw the second year in the decline of the homeless or unsheltered population, attributed to the creation of safe havens, or specialized shelters, that have a streamlined process of getting people into permanent housing. The latest count of homeless people in New York City is from May 2020, with 60,000 homeless people in NYC. The current mayor is not likely to make much headway under his Socialist agenda.
The state with the lowest percentage of the homeless population is experiencing an increase as well. Due to an oil and gas boom, North Dakota recently had the fastest-growing economy, but surging housing prices has made it difficult to find an affordable home. With President Biden putting a noose around the neck of the oil and gas industry, this will most likely change to the detriment of the entire state and beyond.
Following are the 10 states with the most homeless people: California, New York, Florida, Texas, Washington, Massachusetts, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Georgia, and Ohio.